the place where I come from

Sometimes I get really homesick thinking of the place I came from. The place that lives within me and my skin, bones. It is place of bright sunshine and big, bright and loud people. Living in London gives the perspective that Australia is a shangri-la a country that is magic and lost divine place. I know it isn't that, in fact it probably won't live up to my memories and it certainly will feel small and far away from the world when I return. But it is home and I miss it.

My identity is Australian and I do have an ancestry in the UK but it feels like ancestry and history and not me. I have dark hair, people ask what my heritage is and I say Australian most ask no but what else. To me I am Australian a mongrel and mix of lots and everything and nothing. I don't have a country I can put my dark hair too. My Dad has my dark crazy curly hair so do I.

Somehow some kitsch Australiana is starting to creep into my art and I want to explore it. It doesn't work with my tube pictures but I have still placed it together a bit like me really. I will see how it evolves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment