the discovery of the masstransiscope

Part of playing and researching my personal project has become about fragments of images or sights I see on the underground. Sketches, photos, prints, images that capture fragments or sideways glances(research album on flickr) . This has lead to current experimentation work I am doing into a concertina book, which this very lunchtime jumped in my brain to a flip book, this lead to internet research that lead me to the wonderful discovery of the the masstransiscope, the creation by Brand in 1980 on the subway in New York. It is all feeling weirdly full circle.

Thanks to the masstransiscope blog
- 'Bill Brand’s Masstransiscope was installed in the abandoned Myrtle Avenue subway station in Brooklyn, New York in September 1980. It has been seen by millions of commuters for over twenty-five years. The 228 hand-painted panels are viewed through a series of vertical slits set into a specially constructed housing. The piece works on the principle of the Zoetrope, a 19th century optical toy.'



Not sure what I am going to do with this yet, not sure where to go. But very excited and I know somewhere it will have an impact.

0 comments:

Post a Comment