60 from 250? - progress













From the estimated 250 languages spoken in Australia before invasion and colonisation there is estimated to be 35 still be be of strength, 18 strong and 17 with strength that is eroding, 110 severely and critically endangered and 105 now not spoken.  I have been working on the objects to address and somewhat represent the 17. After getting back my life this year and starting again in April I have made some significant progress and I have turned the final corner with only 3 more to build.  

Pictured above is 7 of those objects that are so far complete.

In this project I am making the effort to understand the impact of colonisation, about me knowing  alongside the reality of counter colonisation of me being Australian and moving to England, the dark history of the conflicted place that I call home. I am constantly concerned that the topic is so like dynamite it will at some stage blow up in my face.** 

** Based on research I have undertaken which is referenced here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment