the myth of primitivism:perspectives on art

At the moment I am reading The Myth of Primitivism edited by Susan Hiller. It is a very dense read but great at being thought provoking specifically in relation to my current project where I am starting to explore the impact of being a white non-indigenous Australian. This book is following another heavy read of White Out: How politics is killing black Australia by Rosemarie Neill. Tough books, hard topic and in no way do I think I can currently grapple the complexity or issues that is highlighting but I am trying.

I am faced with my own guilt and I am also confronted by how unhelpful almost self indulgent this can be for dealing the current situation.

I highly recommend both these books, particularly for Australians as we try to deal with our history along with the current crisis we are faced by the inequalities that many Indigenous people are experiencing this very day.




0 comments:

Post a Comment